The children have been busy in the garden this week! The children will continue to be involved in the entire process. What a wonderful way to connect to nature and incorporate hands-on learning!
The goals of the garden include:
- outdoor, hands-on, concrete learning
- cycles of plants through the seasons
- preparing the soil, garden tools
- seeds and planting, and plant varieties
- learning about weeds
- garden rules and garden safety
- eco-friendly gardening and looking after the environment
- introduction to wholesome food
Watering the chives.
Filling the watering can with rain water.
As we complete the month of May, the children have been learning about life cycles (frogs, butterflies, plants). You may hear some new words at home such as metamorphosis, chrysalis or proboscis.
Over the final few weeks of school, we will explore Europe using the puzzle map, object box, animals of Europe, flags of Europe, art and stories. The children enjoy using the hands-on puzzle pieces from the map of Europe, and it provides a concrete way of learning the various countries. The most popular country seems to be Russia. It is the largest piece on the Montessori puzzle map of Europe.